NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD

Newest message board threads:

Title Author Date

Register Calendar New Posts

Poll Results

On the exam itself, choose the best answer for the most points, even if not true?
 Yes, 'lie' to get the most points and just be honest once you land an interview and background investigator. 30 83%
 No, lose some points, but be honest on the exam. 6 16%
Total votes: 36   Please or register an account to vote.

Author Comment

faulFaultier

Reply with quote  #31 
That's right. Don't lie, change before the test! Haha... those guys employed some serious CYA.

And back to that "It upsets me..." example... Bernstein said agreeing to "upset" statements indicates lack of emotional control. They said being upset is significantly different than being concerned. I would have answered 2 - disagree. Your thoughts?

Edit: regarding the "work styles questionnaire" in general... Bernstein said to mostly answer with either 1 or 5, and to "sprinkle in" (I believe that's verbatim) some 2 and 4. Their advice on the use of 3 has already been covered in this thread (common sense). I take this as: use "strongly" 90% of the time, and tone it down only when it really makes sense. Such a strategy would be similar to that of OP's high-scoring friends.
SaraJoe90210

Reply with quote  #32 

How do most people dress for the civil service exam?  Chief's exams and exams specifically for an department, you obviously dress to impress.  But for the civil service exam, which you are taking with tens of thousands of others, usually at a school, and where you won't see/meet anyone from a hiring department...are dress clothes still necessary/the norm?

Thanks!

SJCrna

Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJoe90210

How do most people dress for the civil service exam?  Chief's exams and exams specifically for an department, you obviously dress to impress.  But for the civil service exam, which you are taking with tens of thousands of others, usually at a school, and where you won't see/meet anyone from a hiring department...are dress clothes still necessary/the norm?

Thanks!

You're just there for a test. Nobody from the state or departments has a care of who you are or planning on seeing you again. Dress comfortable.
AFMike820

Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJoe90210

Thanks!

I wore a suit. WAYYYYY overdressed.
Torubu

Reply with quote  #35 
Some things should be very easily verifiable without requesting information from the CSC. If it is assumed that the max score for GPA, for example, is the highest GPA option. If I scored a perfect on the test, I would have answered with the highest GPA. The department could easily then see my transcripts. If I graduated with say a 2.75, then I had to have lied on the exam.

The same goes with lates, tickets, etc. if you score a perfect score, be wary of the easily verifiable questions.
bergenpo80

Reply with quote  #36 
Problem is they are asking for my HS GPA which may no longer be verifiable I believe by law they only have to keep records for 10 years, and even if they have them might take months to search for them..

To be honest HS was so long ago I can't remember what my GPA was.  Many of those questions I couldn't really remember, I guess it apply more to the 18 - 22 year olds applying not the 28 - 33 year olds.
Legion

Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torubu
Some things should be very easily verifiable without requesting information from the CSC. If it is assumed that the max score for GPA, for example, is the highest GPA option. If I scored a perfect on the test, I would have answered with the highest GPA. The department could easily then see my transcripts. If I graduated with say a 2.75, then I had to have lied on the exam. The same goes with lates, tickets, etc. if you score a perfect score, be wary of the easily verifiable questions.

While you are correct, that's assuming the officers know what's on the test. Most of the cops I've spoken to (especially the higher ranking officers who do the hiring) still think this is a test more in line with an IO Solutions exam. A lot of officers don't know the questions being asked on this exam, much less that they can request our answers to them. When I told my chief about the biodata section he said I was jumping the gun and that the psych test comes after the written test and BI. I'm not saying to lie on this exam, but is it really a travesty if you put that you were an A student when you were closer to a B student?
emtb131

Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torubu
Some things should be very easily verifiable without requesting information from the CSC. If it is assumed that the max score for GPA, for example, is the highest GPA option. If I scored a perfect on the test, I would have answered with the highest GPA. The department could easily then see my transcripts. If I graduated with say a 2.75, then I had to have lied on the exam. The same goes with lates, tickets, etc. if you score a perfect score, be wary of the easily verifiable questions.

While you are correct, that's assuming the officers know what's on the test. Most of the cops I've spoken to (especially the higher ranking officers who do the hiring) still think this is a test more in line with an IO Solutions exam. A lot of officers don't know the questions being asked on this exam, much less that they can request our answers to them. When I told my chief about the biodata section he said I was jumping the gun and that the psych test comes after the written test and BI. I'm not saying to lie on this exam, but is it really a travesty if you put that you were an A student when you were closer to a B student?

Grades and personal stuff like that have absolutely no business being on this test in my opinion. I was actually shocked at some of the questions I was expected to answer. Leave the personal crap to the BI to figure out and for your psych. It has no place being anywhere on an entry level LE exam. Who cares if you were a C student in high school? If you're 30 now and have a masters degree, should it really reduce your score? Remove it from the test.

11B FOLLOW ME!
robocop1088

Reply with quote  #39 

I was quite surprised at the amount of questions in regards to H.S and clubs you were in. But we ll see what happens.

Legion

Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtb131
Grades and personal stuff like that have absolutely no business being on this test in my opinion. I was actually shocked at some of the questions I was expected to answer. Leave the personal crap to the BI to figure out and for your psych. It has no place being anywhere on an entry level LE exam. Who cares if you were a C student in high school? If you're 30 now and have a masters degree, should it really reduce your score? Remove it from the test.

I agree with you but EB Jacobs claims that your past performance is the best indicator of your future performance. Supposedly if you're a college grad you're supposed to swap your high school questions and answer them with your college answers but it's still ridiculous. Any agency I applied to wanted my transcripts so they can see what my grades were. Also questions about being late, stealing, how often do you lie, etc. are all b.s. because who is going to actually say I lie all the time? It's scary that those types of questions are 80% of your score.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Search Forum / NJLawman.com Website

NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD