NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD

Newest message board threads:

Title Author Date

Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

jds517

Reply with quote  #1 
I attended a job fair at John Jay yesterday and just found out PGPD is administering a police exam this evening at John Jay College. I cannot attend but I thought I would let anyone know who might be interested. Obviously this is last minute but maybe someone could make it there if considering such a department. Here is the info:

The Prince George's County (Maryland) Police Department will administer the police entrance exam at 445 West, 59th Street, New York, NY 10019 (John Jay College of Criminal Justice) Room 3305 on Friday, April 18, 2008 at 4:00 pm. Seating is limited, to register for the exam contact Cpl. Chabla at 301-699-2940, 240-694-8544 or machabla@co.pd.md.us

BENEFITS:
Starting $44,148+
20 yr. retirement @ 60% of annual salary, maximum of 85% after 30 years
Personal Car Program
$1300 uniform allowance per year
Excellent promotional and lateral transfer opportunities

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
US citizen
High School Diploma (60+ college credits preferred)
21 years old at time of graduation from the Police Academy
Possess a valid driver's license

http://www.co.pg.md.us/pgpolice/index.html

Reply with quote  #2 

I went through the entire process and got a job offer, but I denied because I got hired in NJ.  Anyone with any questions can message me.  Process is pretty quick and they are a really really busy department.

Speed

Reply with quote  #3 
Good dept. from what I hear.

m2inus

Reply with quote  #4 
PG County is an interesting place, and you will definetly get a lot of experience. 

For those of you unfamiliar with the area, PG County is located South and East of Washington, DC.  It is an eclectic mix of urban/inner city area, suburban upper class, and rural farm land.  The county police have full jurisdiction throughout the area, but there are several smaller city departments located throughout the area (ie. Hyattsville, Greenbelt, Cottage City, Bladensburg, UMD, University Park, etc.).

A few things to keep in mind: PG County is in a major budget crisis (like most places), so a hiring freeze/lack of equipment is not too far in the future.  With that being said, violent crime is on the rise in the county, and things do not seem to be getting better. 

The department now seems to be attracting younger and more ambitious officers from out of the area (case in point).  That being said, MD works a little like NJ, if you can get your MD PTC then you can transfer fairly easily to other departments in the state (since most of them are almost always looking for people). 

If you want to be in the area, I would suggest DC or Mont. County, but that's just my 2 cents.  Any questions...just ask!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Search Forum / NJLawman.com Website

NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD