NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD

Newest message board threads:

Title Author Date

Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

rider25

Reply with quote  #1 

whats the statute.... either im having a brain fart or there is none

ineedanewjob

Reply with quote  #2 
The only time that is prohibited is where posted, in those instances it's 39:4-115(b) which you are thinking of:

39:4-115.  Making right or left turn
    The driver of a vehicle or the motorman of a streetcar a. intending to turn  to the right or left at an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic  control signals or by a traffic or police officer, shall proceed to make either  turn with proper care to avoid accidents and, except as provided in b. below,  only upon the  "Go"  signal unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police  officer, an official sign or special signal;  or b. intending to turn right at  an intersection where traffic is controlled by a traffic control signal shall,  unless an official sign of the State, municipality, or county authority having  jurisdiction over the intersection prohibits the same, proceed to make the turn  upon a  "Stop"  or  "Caution" signal with proper care to avoid accidents after  coming to a full stop, observing traffic in all directions and yielding to all  pedestrians and other traffic traveling in a direction in which the turn will  be made. Both the approach for and the turn shall be made as close as  practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless such  intersection is otherwise posted.

Amended by L.1976, c. 46, s. 1.

stormz8

Reply with quote  #3 
When all else fails: 39:4-120.9.  Failure to observe traffic control device at public or private intersection. 

Reply with quote  #4 

39:4-120.9. Drivers' obedience
5. The driver of a motor vehicle shall observe and obey an official traffic control device erected at a public-private intersection in the same manner as those erected at any other intersection.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY BROTHER T.FRANKLIN #4637

" I WANT TO GO TO WORK EACH DAY AND HELP PEOPLE. I WANT TO COME HOME EACH NIGHT AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT WHAT I'VE DONE "
P.O RUSSEL TIMOSHENKO ( RIP )
era12

Reply with quote  #5 
Right on red prohibited.....39:4-115a
Fail to make complete stop before making right on red....39:4-115b
Devilsfan6690

Reply with quote  #6 

Question...... I live in New Jersey and know that we are allowed to turn on red as long as we can do so safely after coming to complete stop, unless there is a sign posted "No turn on red". Well I have never been to Staten Island before and was there with some friends. I turned on red and my friend in the passenger seat yelled at me for turning on red. I said there was no sign stating "No turn on red". Come to find out in New York your not allowed to turn on red unless there's a sign stating that you can. Do you think being a NJ driver they would have some leniency on out of state drivers if we are stopped while driving in NY?

nasa808

Reply with quote  #7 

MAYBE,MAYBE NOT..TOTALLY UP TO THE OFFICER.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY BROTHER T.FRANKLIN #4637

" I WANT TO GO TO WORK EACH DAY AND HELP PEOPLE. I WANT TO COME HOME EACH NIGHT AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT WHAT I'VE DONE "
P.O RUSSEL TIMOSHENKO ( RIP )
exfed2002

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan6690

Come to find out in New York your not allowed to turn on red unless there's a sign stating that you can.

From my recollection, that's only NYC................

Reply with quote  #9 
Am I missing something here?  'No Turn On Red' is 39:4-81   
39:4-115a is, for example, making a left turn at an intersection and failing to yield the right of way.
keelah

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfinest
Am I missing something here?  'No Turn On Red' is 39:4-81   
39:4-115a is, for example, making a left turn at an intersection and failing to yield the right of way.

4-81 is failure to observe traffic control devices which most officers write for running red lights.  It does apply but 115b is more specific for "no turn on red".  Yes it seems that 115a does apply to making a left at an intersection and causing an accident but you could also right careless driving for that.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Search Forum / NJLawman.com Website

NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD