NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD

Newest message board threads:

Title Author Date

Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

paul8377

Reply with quote  #1 

i took the lee exam back in dec2010 when i was 33 i was number 5 on the certification list to get hired in the town i live in and they hired four i got a letter saying you were not granted permanancy at this time but will still be on the list.my question is i will be 36 before the end of the year and my town may hire again im confused about the age limit csc website says your are certified at the age you were at the closing date which was 33 but municipal cutoff says 35 by the csc for the test certification i already work for the state and have 11 yrs in the pers but not in law enforcement .sorry to sound confusing but from what i read on the csc and nj pension and benefits i can get hired i just wanted to know if anyone can confirm this.thanks
johnr

Reply with quote  #2 
from my understanding is that you are still eligible until the next test is given. if they decide to postpone the next test for 3 years then that means that you will be almost 39 and still eligible. I'm 35 so I understand your concerns. I've asked around and this is the answer I keep hearing.
Good Luck.
Ringer

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul8377

i took the lee exam back in dec2010 when i was 33 i was number 5 on the certification list to get hired in the town i live in and they hired four i got a letter saying you were not granted permanancy at this time but will still be on the list.my question is i will be 36 before the end of the year and my town may hire again im confused about the age limit csc website says your are certified at the age you were at the closing date which was 33 but municipal cutoff says 35 by the csc for the test certification i already work for the state and have 11 yrs in the pers but not in law enforcement .sorry to sound confusing but from what i read on the csc and nj pension and benefits i can get hired i just wanted to know if anyone can confirm this.thanks

To answer your question, YES, you can still be hired.  But with the new test coming out, you better hope they do it sooner then later.

So in Civil Service's eyes, you are still 33 years of age.  And will continue to be 33 until the 12/2010 list expires. It's confusing at first, but it basically comes down to Non Civil service towns you have to be sworn in before your 35th birthday no matter what.(certain military exemptions).

Where the Civil Service towns give you a "buffer" where your age at the time you took the LEE test is locked in.

Age Requirements

Current law prescribes a maximum age for entry intothe PFRS. Employees must not be one day past their 35th birthday to qualify for enrollment. Determining the age for entry in the PFRS may varybetween Civil Service and non-Civil Service jurisdictions.Allemployees covered by:

Civil Service(Title 11) — whether State, county,or municipal— candidates cannot be past their35th birthday as of the announced closing date of the Civil Service examination. Those candidates meeting the age requirements at that time will be considered as having met the maximum age requirement for the duration of the ensuing Civil Service Eligibility List from which appointments may be made.

Non-Civil Service — primarily, municipalemployees cannot be one day past their 35th birthday as of their official date of hire.There are certain
exceptions to the maximum age. (see the website)

SGTMICK

Reply with quote  #4 
you're good

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp 

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A1500/1194_I1.PDF 

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A2500/2219_I1.PDF 

[

In any municipality wherein Title 11 (Civil Service) of the

16 Revised Statutes is operative, any person who shall have met the

17 age requirements herein, at the announced closing date of a civil

18 service examination for the position, shall be considered within the

19 age requirements while the civil service list promulgated as a result

20 of that examination is in effect.

21 Nothing herein contained shall affect the employment or

22 continuance in office of any person, as a permanent fireman,

23 employed by said municipality prior to the adoption of the

24 ordinance creating and establishing a paid or part-paid fire

25 department or force.

26 The provisions of this section are subject to chapter 98 of the

paul8377

Reply with quote  #5 

Thank you all for your responses
Hammerhead

Reply with quote  #6 
Well, I can say "been there, done that".. I took the test at 34 yrs old, and was hired at the age of 35. I turned 36 when I graduated the academy.. If you are hired at 35 like I was, expect all kinds of questions on your eligibility. The academy looked into it half way though and the pfrs delayed taking the payments out of my paycheck for 6 months. I am now making double payments this year till caught up. But all in all, it all worked out in the end. Good luck!
Ringer

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead
Well, I can say "been there, done that".. I took the test at 34 yrs old, and was hired at the age of 35. I turned 36 when I graduated the academy.. If you are hired at 35 like I was, expect all kinds of questions on your eligibility. The academy looked into it half way though and the pfrs delayed taking the payments out of my paycheck for 6 months. I am now making double payments this year till caught up. But all in all, it all worked out in the end. Good luck!

Sounds like you and I have traveled the exact path into our LE career.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Search Forum / NJLawman.com Website

NJLawman.com

Police and Law Enforcement News    

f   o   r   u   m   s

Home NJ Page Editorials The Column Jobs Training Roll Call Blog Top Cops Promotional Exam LODD